I love trying new things. I even have a hard time making the same recipe twice! However, I am in love with this Natural Herbal Play Dough recipe, and so are the little hands pictured above!
Sensory play is so beneficial for little growing minds. According to PBS Parents, “Children (and adults) learn the best and retain the most information when they engage their senses.” Isn’t it so true that some of our favorite memories are quickly brought back to our minds just from a certain scent, like the smell campfire on a summer night. Sensory experiences, such as playing with play dough, and especially herb infused play dough, will aid in this development.
Meg Hyke from Home Schooling Mama writes this…
Here are 5 reasons why sensory play is beneficial:
- Research shows that sensory play builds nerve connections in the brain’s pathways, which lead to the child’s ability to complete more complex learning tasks.
- Sensory play supports language development, cognitive growth, fine and gross motor skills, problem solving skills, and social interaction.
- This type of play aids in developing and enhancing memory
- Sensory play is great for calming an anxious or frustrated child
- This helps children learn sensory attributes (hot, cold, stick, dry)
The Benefits Specifically for Natural Herbal Play Dough
Anna, from The Imagination Tree states these learning links:
- sensory: exploring and investigating materials/ textures using all the senses
- maths: investigating capacity / weighing/ measuring/ counting (during the cooking process)
- motor skills: fine motor development through: pinching/ squeezing/ pushing/ pincer grip/ poking/ squishing/ rolling/ rolling/ digging
- creativity: making dough represent other objects/ sculptures/ role-play/ imaginative play
- literacy: role-play language/ new vocabulary eg. herb names
- phase: working independently/ sustained involvement at play
Natural Herbal Play Dough Recipe
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- Up to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in increments until it feels just right)
- Fresh Herbs of choice (Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme, Sage, Oregano, Mint, or anything soothing)
- all natural food coloring (optional)
Natural Herbal Play Dough Manipulative’s… Make it more fun!
- Cookie Cutters
- Pasta shapes
- toy creatures
- rolling pins, plastic knives, scissors, plastic pizza cutters
- cupcake cases in different sizes
- colored and natural feathers
- pine cones, sticks, bark, leaves
- muffin tins, egg cartons, chocolate boxes,
- small cups and shot glasses
- alphabet letters
- glass pebbles
- toy vehicles
- wooden letters and numbers
- fabric, netting and ribbons
- lolly sticks
I hope your kids enjoy this All Natural Herbal Play Dough Recipe as much we are!