I’ve never been a bath person. I didn’t know what the big deal was. I mean I understood that you are supposed to basically relax, read, or close your eye’s for a bit, but for some reason, I never enjoyed it. That was until now!
Oh my, have I been missing out! I can’t believe how incredible baths can be! No, really! I’ve seriously been won over! I’ve been missing two main ingredients in my bath! These ingredients have brought this whole bath experience to a new level!
One day after being really sore from working out, I decided to throw some epsom salt into the bath because I knew it was good for sore muscles. I woke up the next feeling like a new woman! Another day I was reading on the back of my giant box of baking soda that it is good for “relaxing bath.” So I added that next with a few drops of essential oils! WOW! We just totally transformed my bath experience and made me a believer!
I decided to do some research on the benefits of these ingredients in the bath.
Here is what I found:
* 70-80% of Americans are Magnesium deficient. Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate and a fantastic source to replenish lost stores. Our skin absorbs this magnesium easily.
* Symptoms of magnesium deficiency can mimic many other disorders. These include fatigue, irritability, weakness, muscle spasms or tightness, cardiomyopathy, anorexia, sugar cravings, hypertension, anxiety and poor nail growth.
* The bath encourages our bodies to flush out toxins.
* It boosts our health and wellbeing, while also strengthening our immune systems.
* Helps to improve sleep and concentration throughout your day.
* Relieves muscle tension and improves nerve function.
* Helps to prevent artery hardening and blood clots.
* Improves oxygen use.
* Stress relief.
* Soften the skin and promote healing. Baking soda has been proven to help the irritation caused by yeast infections, episiotomies, hemorrhoids and other similar ailments.
* Improves the absorption of nutrients
* Helps to prevent and/or ease migraine headaches.
All of these heath benefits a detox bath are truly amazing, but the thing that keeps me going back for more, is that I truly FEEL amazing from them.
How to Make a Detox Bath
- Begin by dry brushing your entire body. Learn how and why HERE!
- Draw your bath and make it hot, or as hot as you can handle.
- While the water is filling, add 1 cup baking soda and 2 cups epsom salt.
- Add 5-10 drops of essential oil of choice. I love Doterra’s Eucalyptus or lavender.
- Turn some soft music on, light candles and soak for 20 or more minutes.
- Take care getting out, you will feel extra relaxed, dizzy or light-headed.
- Dry off and apply some Raw Shea Body Butter or plain coconut oil to replenish the skin.
- Drink water to help flush toxins.
- Get some rest.
I take my detox bath in the evening so I can go straight to bed, but feel free to enjoy anytime you just want to unwind.
Make a Detox Bath For Your Children Too!
I won’t forget to add that the detox bath is great for the kiddo’s too! My kids LOVE it and ask for the salts! I make a detox bath for my kids once a week.
Follow the steps above and these below…
* For children two and older and under 60 lbs, add 1/2 cup of epsom salt to a standard bath and 1/2 cup baking soda.
* For children 60 lbs to 100 lbs, add 1 cup epsom salt to a standard bath and 1 cup baking soda.
* For people 100 lbs and up, add 2 cups or more of epsom salt to a standard bath and 1 cup baking soda.
In between baths, I also take magnesium nightly. My favorite is Natural Calm. Not only am I replenishing my body of a missing nutrient, it has a calming effect and helps me fall right to sleep.