So many people skip breakfast! It’s so busy in the morning, especially if you have kids to get out of the house or work to get to!
That is why I LOVE overnight oats! You make them the night before and you have breakfast ready to go first thing in the morning! They are easy to grab and go if you must. Whole rolled oats (not the quick kind), are slow digesting, so they will give you much needed energy, Full Fat greek yogurt (learn why low-fat dairy is terrible for our health here), is protein packed to keep your metabolism fired up, and chia seeds are full of fiber, age defying antioxidants, and heart healthy omega-3’s.
I think that is one reason they are so popular on Pinterest right now! Most of the pictures look so beautiful and are overflowing with amazingly nutritious ingredients. The funny thing is, I grew up eating overnight oats, except my mom called it Bircher Muesli, which is the real Swiss “overnight oats.” Oats soaked in milk and yogurt overnight with added nuts, seeds, and fruit. It makes for a delicious, nutritious and filling breakfast to take you through a few hours of morning rush. Really, your options are endless with these and you can change the flavor for whatever season we are in!
My twins are so busy these days and I NEED to fuel up to keep up with them! This breakfast is the perfect way to start my day… and theirs!
The Best Overnight Oats Recipes
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats (I’m using gluten-free oats)
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk (Raw milk, Flax, hemp, or coconut)
- 1/2 cup Full Fat Greek Yogurt (I use Fage Total)
- 1 Tbs Chia seeds
- Raw honey, maple syrup, or other natural sweetener to taste (Or keep it unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup Fresh or frozen Berries, (chopped apples, pear or banana)
- (optional) slivered almonds, walnuts, hemp seeds, raisins, cranberries, goji berries)
- Mix milk, yogurt, oats, chia seeds, and sweetener of choice.
- Layer oat mixture with berries, alternating.
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy for breakfast!
- Prep tip: Make a large batch so you have breakfast for the week!
Right now I’m avoiding gluten to see if it helps my PCOS, and I found these gluten free oats at Trader Joes! Oats do not normally contain gluten, but many are processed in places they also process wheat and other gluten containing grains.
And now for some more! I though it would be fun to share some other GREAT whole food recipes to all of you…
From My Whole Food Life… Overnight Oats in a Jar
From Domesticate Me Vegan Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats
From Happy Hearted Kitchen Orchard Bircher Muesli
From Naturally Sassy Overnight Oats with Blueberry Cashew Cream
From Keepin It Kind Pumpkin Persimmon Overnight Oats
Treat Yourself Sweeter Chia Chocolate Pudding Breakfast
Sunny Puddles Overnight Oats with Sun Butter
So there you have it! Some fun and delicious new recipes for you to try!
Have you tried overnight oats? Share your favorite recipes below 🙂
Keep it clean, keep it natural! From my natural health blog to you!