This past year, I did something I never thought I would do… I KICKED my microwave to the curb! It was definitely something I had in the back of my mind for a long time. Having a microwave was such a convenience for me, especially when I would have two babies screaming at me for food at the same time! I could not get the food to their mouths quick enough! However, when I would use the microwave to heat up homemade baby food, for instance, I felt a little guilty knowing that I was killing the nutrients in the food that I made for my growing boys! Oh how convenient a microwave was… or so I thought!
I didn’t know what to do to replace the microwave! I thought it would just mean more dishes to wash and more clean up! I was already making most of our food from scratch so we just needed to reheat leftovers. The switch was easier than I thought!
What You Need to Replace Your Microwave
1. A desire and commitment from the whole family. This is a great time to educate the family and your kids on the importance of real food and why eating and reserving nutrients are vital for health and wellness.
2. Glass tupperware. You can easily store leftovers in these containers to be perfectly portioned for your next meal! These are perfect for meal planning and making sure you have a portioned out clean eating lunch! Take the lid off and place directly into the toaster oven to reheat in minutes!
3. Toaster Oven . This is key. We use the toaster oven to reheat 90% of our food, or by stove top. If you work away from home, most offices have a mini kitchen where there is space for a toaster oven as well! Get your office involved. Although toaster ovens heat food at slower rate, it creates more evenly heated food, less hotspots, it retains vital nutrients, and of course, the food tastes so much better than microwaved food. For something that would take 3 minutes to cook in a microwave, it takes about 2-3 min more in the toaster oven, for better tasting food and a more satisfying meal.
4. Removing the Microwave From the Home. We all know that if it is there, you will use it. I know I would! Before we officially gave away our microwave, I put it out in the garage, to see how our little experiment would go. After three days, I knew I would never go back. I was blown away by how easy it was to use the toaster oven and by how much better I enjoyed the reheated food, my husband, Mr. Skeptical as well! He complained the first day, but now loves it and used the toaster oven at work!
5. A reason.
Why Microwaves are REALLY Damaging Our Health
1. Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is either reduced or altered so the body gets little to no benefit. Fewer nutrients = more food cravings, more health problems, more illness.
2. The microwave uses electromagnetic radiation to heat your food creating a carcinogenic effect left in the food heated. In fact, Russian investigators found that carcinogens were formed from the microwaving of nearly all foods tested.
3. Microwaving alters elemental food-substances, causing digestive disorders.
4. Microwaved water kills plants, imagine what it does to our bodies? 5. Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths. This may partially explain the rapid increase of the colon cancer rate in America.
6. You will be forced to make better food choices! You will have to cook and use less “prepackaged” and “convenience” foods. No more Hot Pockets, microwaved popcorn (yuck!), Lean Cuisines (which are not lean at all and packed with harmful ingredients!). It will take a little more planning (see my Menu Planning tips!), and you will be forced to make life changing decisions to better your health!
7. Chemicals Can Affect Your Food. When you microwave your food within a plastic container or paper containers, carcinogenic toxins can affect your food, and increase your cancer risk. Some of these toxins include BPA (bisphenol A), polyethylene terpthalate (PET), diethylhydroxylamine (DEHA), diethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP), monoethylhexylphthalate (MEHP), benzene, xylene, or toluene.
8. The microwave kills. There was a lawsuit in 1991 in Oklahoma. A woman named Norma Levitt had hip surgery, but was killed by a simple blood transfusion when a nurse “warmed the blood for the transfusion in a microwave oven!”
Are you ready to ditch the Microwave for good?
Like with many things pertaining to food choices and health, its personal preference. Personally, now that I am no longer using a microwave for an extended period of time, I DO feel better. I no longer have to worry about the microwave damaging our health. It is piece of mind… and better tasting food!
Focus on wellness and say goodbye to terrible tasting food.
Keep it clean, keep it natural! From my Natural Health Blog to you!