Sand between your toes, grass beneath your feet, the sun shining down on your skin giving you warmth and the light breeze of the wind in your hair. There is truly nothing like being outside and enjoying the nature and all of its elements. But really, who does that anymore?
We wear shoes when we are outside, gloves when we are gardening, the earth is covered in concrete, and we all spend most of our time indoors! Is it odd that we feel our best at the beach where we grounded? I love to dig my feet deeper into the sand when I’m at the beach and it’s not just the breath-taking view that makes me feel so good, it is being barefoot and connected to the earth.
Why Go Barefoot?
After struggling with adrenal fatigue over the last year, I was doing some research and I found this article. Was it the missing link to why I was still struggling to rebound? I figured ‘why not try.’
“Earthing,” or barefoot walking, is not just a passing by fad, getting grounded to the earth has actual health benefits and has been done since the beginning of time, where shoes were nonexistent and most people slept on the ground. According to Clinton Ober, the author of “Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?,” states “Few people know it, but the ground provides a subtle electric signal that maintains health and governs the intricate mechanisms that make our bodies work-just like plugging a lamp into a power socket makes it light up.” As a Christian, I just think this is so amazing. I mean the God of this universe has thought of everything! He has given us the sun for warmth and vitamin D, the tree’s for oxygen, and the earth to recharge us from the inside out!
Sadly, our modern lifestyle has disconnected us from this energy and, now many of us (myself included!), suffer from exhaustion, adrenal fatigue, depression, inflammation (which includes allergies to Alzheimer’s, arthritis to Autism, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, asthma, anemia, lupus, MS, and more!), and stress.
How We Become Ungrounded
1) not spending any time outside, or spending very little time outdoors.
2) not getting enough direct sunlight. We need Vitamin D and unprotected sun DAILY.
3) living too much in virtual worlds. For example, the fictional worlds of movies, TV, video games, fiction books, and pornography.
4) not getting enough physical exercise. It is important to get exercise everyday, even if it is just a walk.
5) living too much in the past or in the future with your thoughts.
6) being too bombarded by electromagnetic energies that AREN’T organic to the body. These include the cell phone/Wi-fi, microwaves from microwave ovens, excessive amount of electrical appliances being turned on in a home, or from having a TV, computer or cell phone in your bedroom (they should be in a separate room.).
- Reducing inflammation by defusing excess positive electrons
- Reducing chronic pain
- Improving Sleep
- Increasing Energy
- Lowering stress and promoting calmness by reducing stress hormones.
- Normalizing biological rhythms including circadian rhythm
- Improving blood pressure and blood flow
- Relieving muscle tension and headache
- Lessens menstrual and female hormone symptoms
- Speeds healing- used in some places to prevent bed sores
- Can eliminate jet lag
- Protecting the body from EMFs
- Shortens recovery time from injury or athletic activity
- Reducing or eliminating snoring
- Helping support adrenal health
Every body is created differently, therefore everyone will have different experiences. I however have noticed when I spend time outdoors, with my shoes off, getting my hands dirty (I love to garden!), I do feel my best. It increases my energy, I am more alert, it relieves stress and tension, and I sleep like a baby.
How to Connect to the Earth
I know it sounds a little “tree huggerish,” but come on! Our big, powerful, ever so creative God, the mastermind of all creation created this amazing world, why wouldn’t he make it freely giving? It doesn’t cost you a penny and it can potentially help your physical and mental health!
Here is what you need to do to get your free dose of daily medicine… take your shoes and socks off… and walk barefoot on the earths natural surface. Don’t you love the part in the movie Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts pulls Richard Gears socks off and makes him go barefoot in the grass? I do! Going barefoot make us feel young again and I think there is something to it! The best surfaces are grass, Sand, water, or dirt. Whatever you have in your backyard or out front of your place of work, for 15 minutes a day! That is it! You can get your daily dose of Vitamin D while enjoying some feel good electrons running through your body!
Most people notice a difference right away, but have lasting effects within a few days or weeks!
What If The Weather Doesn’t Permit?
I know it is so easy when its warm and sunny out, but what if the ground is covered in snow? There are now Earthing Mats and Sheets that can keep you grounded year round! The mats are great to put under your desk while you work or sheets that really help to improve your sleep! I have not tried them personally, but one of my favorite Mommy bloggers has and she recommends them both!
Is Earthing for You?
That is for you to decide! Have you tried it? Think its a bit too crazy? Let us know!
As always, keep it clean, keep it natural! From my natural health blog to you!