I love a simple meal. This has to be one of the simplest dinners I make, and it is definitely a favorite. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be complicated, the meals don’t need to have a million ingredients. The ingredients just need to be REAL.
What is REAL FOOD anyway?
Real food is not as easy to find as one may think. REAL FOOD is…
- WHOLE FOOD. Food found in its most natural state. Think [organic] fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, meats, and foods with minimal ingredients. If there are ingredients in the label and you cannot read them, do not eat it and throw it out! (Learn more about healthy eating HERE)
- EATING LOTS OF FRUIT AND VEGETABLES. Our bodies CRAVE nutrients and nutrients come from fresh seasonal vegetables and fruit. Most people eat far from enough.
- DAIRY. Whole milk, whole milk whole, milk… organic cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese. Fresh farm or organic eggs.
- CHOOSING SEASONAL and ORGANIC or LOCAL. Not only will you be feeding your body the right nutrients year round, you will be avoiding toxic chemical pesticides AND supporting your local farmers.
- CHOOSING HUMANLY RAISED MEATS and WILD CAUGHT SEAFOOD.
- ALL NATURAL SWEETENERS. Coconut sugar, Turbinado Sugar, Sucanat, molasses, Raw local honey, 100% Pure Maple syrup (grade B is best!).
- WHOLE GRAINS. In their most natural state, such as, brown rice, Bulgar, corn, oats, and fresh breads from the bakery that contain no preservatives, or sprouted breads.
- SNACKS. Should be dried fruit and nuts, raw fresh juices, green smoothies, fruits, whole milk yogurt.
- BEVERAGES. Filtered water, raw or unpasteurized and never from concentrate juice, Kombucha tea. Fresh brewed coffee or tea and of course wine and organic or all natural beer in moderation.
- FATS. Lots of them! Olive oil, Coconut oil, Avocado Oil, Nuts, seeds. (Learn more about healthy cooking oils HERE)
Many people (myself previously included!) believe they eat healthy. But the truth is, most people don’t realize many of their food choices contain unnatural ingredients that are marketed to look “healthy.” It takes practice to really get it, to read ingredients. My body (and yours!) CRAVES real food and hates chemicals! Let get real and continue eating REAL FOOD together.
Curried Chicken Legs with Roasted Carrots
Ingredients (always try to choose Organic, Natural, Free range)
- 3 lbs of Chicken Legs
- 1.5 Tbs Curry powder
- 1 tsp Tumeric (amazing anti-inflammatory benefits and I try to add whenever possible)
- Avocado oil (great for high heat cooking!)
- 1 tsp Salt and a few grinds pepper
- 2 lbs Carrots, unpeeled
I hope you enjoy and venture into some real food cooking! Have you tried any new foods lately? I would LOVE to hear! Don’t be afraid to comment 🙂
Keep it clean, Keep it natural! From my Natural Health Blog to you!