Why is it that so many snacks, especially geared for kids are FULL of unnatural, unhealthy ingredients? Gummy snacks, fruit-roll-ups, animal crackers, to name a few are highly processed, full of chemicals, food dyes, hydrogenated oils (trans fat), made to look appealing to kids but lack anything healthy by far! Many parents feel that kids are so active that they will “burn it off.” Unfortunately, having an attitude like this is teaching our kids that taste should come before health and that processed foods are okay to eat, when ultimately 1 out of 3 kids in the United States is overweight or obese! I just need to repeat this again… 1 out of 3 kids in the United States is overweight or obese! Enough said!
DID YOU KNOW?
- The Centers for Disease Control predicts that our children’s generation could be the first in history to have shorter life spans than their parents.
- The FDA allows more than 3000 chemical additives in our food. There have been no studies showing how these chemicals react with one another in our bodies.
- A single processed or fast food meal can contain hundreds of chemicals.
- Eliminating food additives from our children’s diets can improve MANY behavior problems, ADD and ADHD symptoms, learning issues, aggressive behaviors, physical ailments, and (some) autism symptoms.
- Food additives can cause hyperactivity, depression, concentration and learning problems, obesity, headaches, anger and violence, and much more.
- Food sensitivities can show up in hundreds of ways – from behavior to physical symptoms. You just have to know where to look.
- There are no long term studies done on the effects of ADD and ADHD medications in children. Unfortunately, the children taking these drugs are the study.
- Many children on medication can be controlled instead with the proper diet and supplementation.
WHAT CAN WE DO?
- We need to eliminate ALL PROCESSED FOODS FROM THE HOUSE! They are killing, not only us, but our kids! Yes you may have some rebuttal, but sometimes we need to upset our kids because we LOVE them!
- Stock up on fresh fruit and Vegetables! Chop up veggies for the week for easy snacks to grab!
- Start cooking dinner and making their lunches and snacks for school! Health should always come first for you and your kids! Make them a priority too!!
- You are their best teacher! Educate, don’t nag, and live by example! Show them how to eat naturally.
In light of all of this, here is a super easy to make and healthy snack for your kids to enjoy!
Naturally Made Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather
Ingredients (always try to choose organic)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of allspice
- A large sheet of parchment paper
Your kids will LOVE!!! Enjoy!!