I have been meaning to post a recipe using the left over almond meal which I have from making my Naturally Made Raw Almond Milk. If you follow me on Facebook, last week you may have seen that I made Raw Chocolate Cinnamon Almond milk (You can use this link here for the recipe). I had added in raw cacao and cinnamon to make the milk so I wanted to make muffins that incorporated those flavors. Who doesn’t like chocolate?
One reason I use Raw Cacao over cocoa powder is that the raw cacao contains 367% more antioxidants, according to nutritionist and raw food advocate, David Wolf! The traditional store bought cocoa is overly processed and the actual cocoa butter is removed and therefore, many of its nutrients are lost.
These muffins are full of antioxidants, enzymes, fiber, and complex carbohydrates. They are perfect for breakfast with a side of eggs, for an afternoon snack pick-me-up, and are even sweet enough for dessert!
Naturally Made… Almost Paleo, Chocolate, Banana, Chia Muffins
- 1 3/4 c almond flour/meal (You can buy this at any healthfood store or use leftovers… The 2 cups of almonds I used to make the milk left me with about 1 3/4 c of almond meal)
- 1/4 c Raw cacao (You can buy HERE. Many of my favorite products you can now purchase on my amazon store!)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea or Himalayan salt
- 2 Tbs +1 Tbs Chia seeds for muffin tops
- 1/2 c. pitted dates, chopped
- 4 Tbs Organic coconut oil (buy HERE)
- 4 Tbs Plain Fage Greek yogurt (or plain dairy free yogurt)
- 1/3 c raw honey (buy HERE)
- 2 large Organic eggs
- 1 tsp organic Vanilla
- 3 large ripe banana’s
**Note** I call them “Almost Paleo” due to the greek yogurt, but you can substitute with a non-dairy yogurt as well. Enjoy!