Chia seed is a fantastic way to increase fiber in your diet. 1 Tbs has 5 grams of Fiber! You can sprinkle it on top of yogurt, salads, replace them for poppy seeds, add to your smoothies, oatmeal or make a delicious, powerful, Chia Pudding! What is so great about Chia is that unlike Flax Seed, Chia doesn’t need to be ground to get all of its benefits.
The word Chia actually comes from the Mayan language which means “strength.” Thousands of years ago the Aztec warriors believed that it provided them with strength and power and it was a staple in their diet! It makes complete sense why the Mayans were so fond of Chia seeds, they are the richest plant source of Omega-3‘s (which is perfect for me since I do not like fish!) and contain MORE Omega 3’s than Salmon! Because of their high fiber content, they will help you feel fuller faster. Chia seeds also benefit those with diabetes since the Chia slows the absorption of carbohydrates into the blood stream, which then helps controls blood sugar levels.
Although, this recipe contains sugars, they are NATURAL sugars that provide essential minerals to your body. Try this NATURALLY MADE Dessert and feel good about it!
NATURALLY MADE CHIA PUDDING (serves 4)
- 3 cups of your favorite non-dairy milk (I used all natural coconut milk for this batch)
- 1/2 cup of Chia Seeds
- 3 Tbs Raw Cacao Powder
- 1/2 tsp Natural Vanilla
- Natural Sugar to taste ( I don’t like it super sweet, so I only used 3 Tbs of coconut palm sugar… but my husband wished it was sweeter!)
- pinch of sea salt
Enjoy!! I LOVE feedback… so please leave me comments! 🙂
- Why Chia Seeds Are Suddenly Everywhere (refinery29.com)
- Chia Seeds. (freshfitfine.wordpress.com)
- Nutrition & Recipes: Benefits of Chia Seeds for Athletes (ajgovoni.wordpress.com)